About Me

My photo
Lori is a Bible believer and openly shares her insights so that others may know the fullness of Life in Jesus as He said in John 10:10b "I have come so that they may have life and have it abundantly."

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Chapter 11 Praying for Others





Intercessory prayer is another way of saying you are praying for someone else.  It’s that simple.  Sometimes you hear the word intercessor.  That’s what the person is called that is praying for someone else; praying on their behalf. 

There is also a phrase of this type of thing referred to as, “standing in the gap.”  It is the connecting part between acknowledging God and the person you are praying for, or a situation you are praying about.  This phrase comes from the Bible verse in Ezekiel 22:30  “ I looked for someone who might rebuild the wall of righteousness that guards the land. I searched for someone to stand in the gap in the wall so I wouldn't have to destroy the land, but I found no one.” NLT



We know that God loves us and wants to have us to talk to Him. 

There is more. 

There is a call to pray not only for ourselves and to converse with Him, but to lift others in prayer before Him that need His hand in their lives or situations.  This is where our relationships, our placement in life and in the lives of others, our individual interests and compassions come into great purpose.



There is only one you.  Only you know the people you know in the ways of relationships that you have.  Only you have been given an interest and compassion in certain ways based on your own circumstances, places you’ve lived and point of view.  These are all areas God can use for great purposes through you and you alone.



Over 20 years ago I heard about a young mom whose baby girl had an emergency situation and needed to be taken by an ambulance.  She shared how she had always prayed for ambulances when she saw them.  She would pray for the people needing them, the people that were giving medical care and prayers for the driver.  She found herself on an ambulance with her little girl and she thought how surely there were others praying for them as they traveled in route to the hospital.  It gave her comfort.

I was moved by this.  I had never thought to do this and it changed me.  I became an avid prayer person this way.  I prayed for the ambulances as I thought of her story.  I began praying for the people in the hospitals as I would drive past them.  I especially prayed for children that I saw outside or when I drove by schools.  God had given me a heart for children.  This was part of the way I was made. 

My mom would always pray when she saw an airplane overhead.  We lived near a major airport and the planes are frequent.  She prayed for the passengers thinking of their business or family visits, vacations or maybe a need to see someone that was sick or attend a funeral.  She thought and prayed for a lot of situations.  She also prayed for the pilots and flight attendants. 

I have heard some pretty great stories of people being able to pray for others or change a life towards God while they flew next to someone on an airplane.  Sometimes I wonder if God also partnered with someone on the ground through their prayers.

These are some things you can pray for based on the way you are created; the things that trigger you.  We didn’t know who we were praying for, but we prayed.  Some people pray for government because they are politically minded.  Some think and pray for soldiers, some for truck drivers, some for teachers and some when they pass by nursing homes.

 One woman walked along a sidewalk in front of my parents’ house.   My dad was outside.  His house was for sale and the For Sale sign was up.  The woman spoke to him and told him that she always prays for the houses she sees that are for sale.  She prays for a sale, for blessed buyers and blessed sellers and that God would make good homes for them both and she would be praying for his. 

There are endless ways to pray and things to pray about.  I have learned that when someone comes to mind, I will pray for them.  It is a lot more fun to tell them that I was praying for them than to say I was thinking of them.  Sometimes I don’t see that person, but later hear that they had been going through something where prayers were needed.  God loves to partner with us in ways that He is moving.  When we act on them, it helps build our faith.

There were a couple of ways that God showed me how He was partnering with me in what He had planned and was doing.  I didn’t know them at the time, but just prayed.

I mentioned earlier that I had a tender heart towards children.  While I was in the car one morning driving to work, I saw a little boy outside by the street corner.  He was dressed like one of the characters of The Blues Brothers.  He was a plump little boy and he had on a hat and sunglasses and he was holding a saxophone.  His mom was taking his picture by the street sign. 

I began praying for him and my prayers took off in the Spirit.  It was so strong as I prayed and I wondered why I cared so much in the Spirit about the little boy whom I had never met. 

My daughter was 18 years old and started dating a guy that she met from the swim team that she helped assist on at her high school.  He wasn’t a Christian and she made it clear to him that church was important to her and so was her faith.  She told him that if he wanted any part of her life, he would have to come to church with her.  He agreed and would come and sit with her and our family each Sunday. 

During one of the worship songs, it really moved him. He wanted to have a life in Christ and became a follower of Jesus.  The song playing that moved him to this decision was “LORD, Reign In Me.”  It meant so much to him that he even got a tattoo on his arm with a cross and “Reign In Me” written on it. 

One day, my daughter and her boyfriend were talking about when they were little.  He shared how he had been really short and chubby like our daughter had been in middle school.  It was funny because he was now 6’4 and very thin.  She went and got her pictures of herself and he went home to get his.  We looked through the stack and there was a photo of him dressed as a Blues Brother with a saxophone standing by the street sign.  It was the snapshot of the photo I saw taken years before on that same street!

He was the little boy!  He was who Jesus cared so much for and had me partner in prayer for him.  Not only did the LORD love him, but He showed His love for me by showing me His power and love and to strengthen my faith in prayer.  He has given me this story to share with others, too. 

 

The young man and my daughter later ended their relationship, but he continued to come to our church and often sat with our family.  He frequently played his saxophone with the worship/music team at the church services and for special programs.  Later, he gave his testimony in front of the church congregation of how he came to Jesus through the music of that church and the insistence of a girl he was dating that his only access to her was if he came to church. 



Later, he married a friend of our daughter’s who attended that church, too.  God is good and He has a plan and He invites us to participate in what He is doing through the beautiful ability to pray with the breath that He has given us.  Our lives matter and He gives purpose to our breath by His Spirit.



Another example that God showed me His hand in nudging me to pray was revealed to me more quickly.  I was waiting to go inside a Bible bookstore.  It hadn’t opened yet and would in 15 minutes.  I decided to wait in my car and I decided to ask God who He wanted me to pray for while I waited for it to open.  The LORD said, “Tim Pawlenty.”  He had been our Minnesota Governor the previous term.  I wasn’t one that was ever into our state government and people.  I was surprised by his name and knew I certainly didn’t think that up myself.  I asked the LORD how He wanted me to pray for him; politically, personally, family?  God said, “All of it.”  So, I did.  I prayed for those 15 minutes and then I noticed that two boys got inside the store so I knew the doors were now open.

I walked into the store through the first set of doors and then opened the set that opened straight into the store.  In Minnesota, we have double sets of doors to help keep the cold out.  As I watched my step over the threshold, I looked up just as I got passed it.  There was this tower built like a pyramid out of books from the floor to six feet tall.  It was built out of one book and on the cover it read, “’Courage to Stand’ by Tim Pawlenty” and a big picture of his smiling face!  I was shocked and jolted and bought the book!  I was excited as I told the cashier what had just happened and she sort of looked at me like I was nuts.  It wasn’t the reaction I was expecting in a Bible Bookstore, but I didn’t care.  I grabbed my book and raced home and kept praying for him.  Three weeks later, he announced his candidacy for the Presidency of the United States.  He ran for office for a while and God continued to prompt me to pray for him.  Even after he announced his resignation from the race, God continued to have me pray as he transitioned into his next role.



God is amazing.  He does so much when we open our lives and our everyday to Him as we really walk with Him and breathe Him in and know how much He loves us.  He’s powerfully active and He puts us in the places that He desires for purpose…His purpose.



I mentioned how cold Minnesota is.  It is brutally cold.  I don’t like the cold.  I love heat and humidity and I often wondered why God had me live here.  This last Easter time I was in Florida visiting my parents and enjoying a beach vacation with them at their place. I was doing my usual complaining, wondering why on earth God would have me live in Minnesota while I believed that I was made for Florida as I sat sunning on the beach. 

 

A friend of my Mom’s listened to me and he looked down at me lying there as he towered over and said, “You aren’t in Minnesota for you, you’re in Minnesota for God.”  Wow!  He silenced me in a flash! Like lightning.  I remember my Mom’s mouth dropping open along with mine.

 These were strong, powerful words that I will not soon forget.  So, here I sit, typing during a blizzard and hearing thunder at the same time in the middle of April.  But, I’m here for Him and my purpose, my place, my relationships and my interests are all used with the incredible life God has given me to know Him more and to bless others through Him by my own life and God-given breath.  Where are you?  You have much to do there.  You have been created for more.

When God decides to reveal why He had you pray, it builds your faith.  Your praying does so much to build your own faith when you act in obedience and He shows you later why you were moved to pray.



A beautiful thing happened right at this point of writing.  I had wrapped up writing for the day and thought of a friend of mine.  I decided to pray for her and I let her know that I did and was thinking of her.  She responded with gratitude and thanked me as a friend, as a sister in faith and teacher.  She went on to say that what I had taught about praying for others when they come to mind, in practice, had given her a joy and peace like none other.  She thanked me for teaching her that.  Not only was she blessed by my prayers, but the return was exactly what I needed!  Her words encouraged me at this exact time of writing on this exact subject!  It affirmed my current work and at times, in all honesty, when you are in the midst of a project you feel you are being obedient to God for, you sometimes wonder, in the amount of effort and no knowledge of any good of it, if it was really for Him after all?  God blessed me through her words.  I had not known that she had ever grasped that part of anything I had ever said before, taught or wrote.  It blessed me with a new certainty in the writing and the time commitment that it has taken in research, prayer and effort in placing the words together.  God loves to weave within our lives and create and prove His undeniable presence amidst our lives in precise, perfected timing. 

(I am writing this portion later.  This woman that I felt led to pray for and she responded back in ways of encouragement was only three weeks from passing away.  Those were the last words I ever heard back from her.  I knew she was ill, but had no idea how far the cancer had gone.  I went to see her a few days before she died.  She was unable to respond or communicate.  I prayed love, gratitude for her life and her encouraging words she gave for so many and for blessing on her and peace.  What she had given without speaking of her own troubles was an incredible generosity.)



Intercession, praying for others, is a ministry of divine appointment.  Esther 4:14 “For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?”    Esther is a book about intercession.

Even in silence there could be death.  Speaking in Esther’s case, was the only hope for life.



Through a series of miraculous favor, Esther was given the position of Queen.  All along the way was her cousin, Mordecai.  She had been an orphan and Mordecai cared for her and brought her up.  When she became Queen, he sat at the gates of the Kingdom observing and watching over all that was happening to Esther.  He was keeping watch. They were Jews and at that time, were thought of as lowly.  The King was not aware of Esther’s lineage.



Mordecai overheard the plans of an evil right hand man of the King’s named Haman.  Mordecai informed Esther of Haman’s plan and the King proclaimed what Haman had wanted… the killing of all of the Jews.  Mordecai plead with Esther to help save the people.  Only she had access to the King.  Esther then told Mordecai to tell all of the people to fast for three days while she prayed and prepared for what she must do.  She was to approach the King without having been invited.  This could be reason alone for death in those times.



As Mordecai interceded for the people in asking Esther for her help, Esther in turn asked for the interceding of the people to help her by prayer and fasting.  Mordecai’s famous words ring on often in the ways of purpose; “For who knows that you have come to royal position for such a time as this.”  Prior to these words he said and if you do not do this God will save the Jews through another way, but you and your household will perish. 

This means that God’s plan will take place.  He will keep His people safe and will not let them come to complete destruction.  But, if she does not step in, she herself has lost her own life in the way of disobedience and not trusting God as she serves Him.  She loses the testimony of His salvation and greatness and therefore, would have no heritage of faith to pass on to her children and family.



Some of my own legacy comes from the knowledge of the prayers and faith of my great grandparents.  It is known among all of the great grands and the great-great grand children that our great-great grandmother prayed for her children, her children’s children, their children after them and so on.  The knowledge of her words of faith and prayers to carry into generations are carried in our hearts and minds as we, too, have learned to pray that way.  She spoke it out.  We know other family members prayed and believed and showed actions of faith, but her words spoken are known to us and easy to carry with us.



As Esther listened to Mordecai regarding this she said, Go, gather all the Jews to be found in Susa, and hold a fast on my behalf, and do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my young women will also fast as you do. Then I will go to the king, though it is against the law, and if I perish, I perish Esther 4:16 ESV 

 

Esther showed that she cared more for her people and believing and walking in faith.  Doing what was right in her faith and spirit was more important than a physical death.  Some versions of this say, “If I die, I die.”    



Esther 5:1 On the third day Esther put on her royal robes and stood in the inner court of the palace, in front of the king’s hall. The king was sitting on his royal throne in the hall, facing the entrance. 2When he saw Queen Esther standing in the court, he was pleased with her and held out to her the gold scepter that was in his hand. So Esther approached and touched the tip of the scepter.



There are traits here that I see in coming before God like coming before His throne in prayer.  We have seen verses that say because of what Jesus did for us, we can now come boldly and confidently before Him.  Isaiah 61:10   “I delight greatly in the LORD; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.”  Esther used her position as Bride and adorned herself before coming to the throne.  So has Christ’s intercession for us become the garments of salvation and a robe of righteousness.



Esther 7:3-4  Then Queen Esther answered, “If I have found favor with you, O king, and if it pleases your majesty, grant me my life—this is my petition. And spare my people—this is my request. 4For I and my people have been sold for destruction and slaughter and annihilation. If we had merely been sold as male and female slaves, I would have kept quiet, because no such distress would justify disturbing the king.



.  Here we see in Esther her distress.  She would not have bothered the king with something they could have endured and suffered through, but it was the things that would be unbearable that she asked for mercy in.



Reading in Mark, we observe Jesus going before God the Father prior His crucifixion.  He brought Peter, James and John with Him to be the watch for Him, His intercessors as He was about to intercede for us. 

Mark 14:33-35  33He took Peter, James and John along with him, and he began to be deeply distressed and troubled. 34“My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death,” he said to them. “Stay here and keep watch.”

 35Going a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him. 36“Abba, Father,” he said, “everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.”  



Jesus fell to the ground before God in prayer and anguish for what was to come.  He prayed His requests and used His position of Son as He called God, “Abba, Father.”

But, He held God in authority and showed that He would follow His will.



 Jesus saw that the ones that He had asked to watch over Him while He prayed had fallen asleep again.  This can also be seen in a metaphor as people that believe in Jesus, but fall asleep in the efforts of prayer and watching out for others fall asleep at the requests of God in this respect. We are easily tempted by our own desires and distractions and remaining prayerful and watchful has great importance to keep us from temptations. Mark 14:37-38 Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “Simon,” he said to Peter, “are you asleep? Could you not keep watch for one hour? 38Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak.”





Our strength comes from a relationship with God.  Often we want that, but don’t do a very good job and doing the things necessary for it. 

We need to pray.

 These are Characteristics of Intercessors. 

We can see this in Esther’s example and Jesus’.

Selflessness and self discipline

Obedience

Persistence and determination

Patience

Faith

Spirit placed burden

Love for others

Willing to give up one’s self for God’s will/Sacrifice

 

It sometimes involves fasting and some examples of that are found in Deuteronomy 9, Ezra 10, Daniel 9, Joel 2 and Jonah 3, Matthew 4



As a group of believers join together, the prayer and fasting time together can open more of God’s work and power.  Again, this is part of our relationships.  Isaiah 62:6-7 I have posted watchmen on your walls, O Jerusalem; they will never be silent day or night. You who call on the Lord, give yourselves no rest,7 and give him no rest till he establishes Jerusalem and makes her the praise of the earth. 

Jesus didn’t call just one to “watch,” but three, when He prayed in Gethsemane.  He drew upon their close relationship to Him and one another and that together, He expected them to be strong. 



As people that have been asked to pray or have a desire or nudge to pray for someone, you are called.  It is an appointment into a role that you were called to do.  If you have ever thought of someone and shortly later saw them or heard something about them, you have been nudged by His Spirit.  Some call it intuition, but it is placed upon you by your Creator. 

 

It is part of His power and your purpose. 

 

We need to open ourselves up to this and use it for the great good of those promptings and nudges.  You are appointed to service! 

To those that have prayed for others: You are the ones carrying the beggars, blind and lame for you hear Him and know Him and follow His ways.  The Lord has given you eyes to see and ears to hear.  This call is for a purpose far greater than you can know.



If you haven’t prayed in this way for others, follow those promptings.  It is the beginning of learning how to walk by His Spirit.  Believe that the prayers open wide His door of blessings to come.  His Kingdom waits for the requests of its people.



There was a time that was hard for me to step in and pray.  I was at a conference and the speaker sat on a stool on the stage.  There were around 700 people present.  I strongly sensed the LORD telling me to go up and place a hand on him and speak a short prayer over him.  God told me what I was to say.  It was only three sentences long. 

I started to panic and didn’t want to do it and then questioned if God really wanted me to do that!  It seemed ridiculous, not to mention incredibly embarrassing!  A man in front of me had been rocking side to side for more than 10 minutes.  I was irritated by it and had wished for a while that he would stop, but to no avail.  As I thought of this absurd request, I said to God in my mind, “Okay, LORD.  If that is really You, make that man stop.”  I had not even sounded the “p” out in my mind for “stop” and he stopped!  My heart pounded in my chest and I KNEW I had to go forward.  Once again, in a panic of knowing His instruction, I told God my part of the conditions.  I can be dangerously bold sometimes and He could have not helped, but by His grace and His desire for me to act, He acted.  I told Him, “You are going to HAVE to tell me when to go and do it.” 

The speaker went into a prayer time where we all prayed quietly to ourselves.  Then he started singing, “Arise, my child, arise.”  It was soft and sweet and gentle.  I knew that was my cue.  I got up.  I kept my head down the whole way up, so embarrassed and hoping no one knew me.  I didn’t know if he had people like guards or bouncers that would grab me and pull me away, or if he would tell me to get down from the stage, or get upset with me approaching.  I walked up the stairs, placed my hand on him and said the words.  He looked up at me with the kindest and warmest smile. 

I quickly turned away after I said it and over and over again, I heard him say as people were still quietly praying, “Thank you, Jesus.  Thank you, Jesus.”  Whatever it was, it was between him and Jesus.  I never found out why or what, but I knew Jesus did something in that moment for him.  I couldn’t wait to get out of there.  I was still embarrassed, but my desire to do as God asked was stronger than my desire to not obey.  Our words are powerful.  Whatever it was that I said to him mattered a lot to him as God used me to communicate in another way to him, God’s love.



I shared this incident to some women that I was teaching.  Another woman shared a time when she was asked by the LORD to do something weird.   She was led to pray for someone that was leading and to go to that person’s feet and pray over them.  She did it.  After the prayer time broke up, the woman next to her said to her that she had that same nudge to do that, but she didn’t do it.  It is an example that God’s desires will take place, but we have the choice to partner with Him or not. 



Had either one of us not been in regular relationship with the LORD in prayer, it would have been easy to not have acted.  Many of us would wish that we would do such a thing, with the Spirit being willing, but our flesh is weak.  My weakness was still prominent as I put conditions up for God to answer in order to make me feel confident enough to do it.  Our flesh IS weak!  We need His help!  He often helps to help us to believe.

Not everyone God calls you to pray for know Him.  God will prompt us to pray for people that don’t know Him or for people that are in the midst of wicked lives.  He welcomes the hands of the wicked to be made clean.  It is His heart.  Don’t let a criticism for their life keep you from being opened to those nudges.  Keeping yourself from judging or being critical opens you up to the fullness of love and serving that Jesus intended.  It is why the lifestyle of forgiveness is so important.  Forgiveness is a humbling of yourself.  When you are humbled you are compassionate to the struggles of others.


Believe that the prayers open wide His door of blessings to come.  The person you are praying for may not have ever had a prayer lifted on their behalf before God. 
 

All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment