About Me

My photo
Lori is a Bible believer and openly shares her insights so that others may know the fullness of Life in Jesus as He said in John 10:10b "I have come so that they may have life and have it abundantly."

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Chapter 8 Good News, A Good Word











Jesus shows the power of His words in Mark 4:39 When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Silence! Be still!" Suddenly the wind stopped, and there was a great calm. 



Jesus “called out in a loud voice” for Lazerus to come out of the grave.  It was by Jesus’ voice and command that Lazerus was raised from the dead.  Many people witnessed it and it is found in John 11:43-44. Jesus states that He knew what God would do and could do it in a quiet way, but He chose to do it this way so that they too, might believe. 

These examples show Jesus conquering storms and death by His words.  Take this to heart and mind.  His words also helped others to believe as they heard him speak and saw the results of what happened by what he said.



We see peace and we see life and freedom.  In His presence are such things.  When we come to Him in prayer or reading His Word, this is what pours from His breath into our lives.  In our times of praise He comes with the joy of His Spirit. 



Numbers 20:1-12 is a powerful illustration of God’s instruction to Moses about speaking and the power of words and God’s intention to show its power.  The people were thirsty and needed water.  They complained to Moses and Aaron and they were mad at the LORD and said to Moses, “You brought us out here to die?!”

Moses went to the LORD and the LORD told him to take the stick and to speak to the rock and water would come out from it.  Moses returned to the angry people who had just spoken to him in complaining and aggression.  He responded in like anger and said in self-righteous frustration, “Listen you rebels, must we bring you water out of this rock?!”  Moses’ words took ownership of the providing.  He said, “Must we.” Moses then struck the rock not once, but twice with his staff instead of speaking to it as God had said and still the water gushed out of the rock.  This was the act that Moses did that kept Moses from seeing the Promised Land. 

12But the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “Because you did not trust in me enough to honor me as holy in the sight of the Israelites, you will not bring this community into the land I give them.” 13These were the waters of Meribah,a where the Israelites quarreled with the Lord and where he showed himself holy among them.

God, His will and way were shown Holy by Him in His keeping Moses and Aaron, who had done so much that was great, was not of them but of Him and so they no longer received the rest of what God was giving, the Promised Land.

Greater yet, beyond the knowledge of the Israelites and Moses is the representation of the Spiritual in the event.  God was showing the strength and power of words and not might. He also shows His mercy and His provision even in our failures.  God was showing that as Christ is the rock, His living water pours out from Him to us through His Spirit and gives us life in the Spiritual and eternal.

1 Corinthians 10:4  and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ.

 

 Even as Jesus hung on the cross and had been beaten and pierced, He still poured out forgiveness and everlasting life as blood and water poured out from His side when He was pierced.



Matthew 4:4 Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"



John 1:1-5  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning. 3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4In him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understooda it.



I have to admit that all of this was dark to me.  Until His Spirit showed me the dove-like breath and captured my thoughts and consumed my curiosity, I would not have found this incredible foundation that is both physical and spiritual and relational with God and with one another in our breath and His.  I can’t take a single word of credit for it except that I sat down with all of the puzzle pieces that He was handing me and put together the puzzle of the picture He had already created from the beginning. 

Here’s another piece.  John 8:20-21 Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to see you.” 21 He replied, “My mother and brothers are those who hear God’s word and put it into practice.  Here we see the pieces fitting together.  We see the relationships in Christ. We become part of the intimate family where words are life.  We see that it is through God’s word and putting it into practice.  



John 3:3 For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God gives the Spirit/Ruah  without limit.



These are more scriptures to take to heart as you move forward in the knowledge and wisdom of what God has given you.

Colossians 4:6  Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

Proverbs 16:23-24  A wise man’s heart guides his mouth, and his lips promote instruction.  24Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.

Proverbs 15:1 A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.



Matthew 12:35-36   The good person out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil. 36 I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, 37for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”



The power of words are life.  Words can live for all time.  When we think of great people, we think of the things that they said.  We often quote them.  Their words are as alive today as they were then.  When the homes of these famous people decay or the clothes they wore rot away, their words live on vibrant and strong.  It is the writings that continue; the words published or spoken and remembered.  We repeat words said by family members long since passed away and they continue on. 



When I was growing up, our elementary school did an experiment each year for the 12 -year olds.  We grew bean plants by seed.  We watered our plants and kept them by the sunlight.  But, what we did was separate the plants and placed half on one side of the room and the other half on the other side of the room.  On one side we were told that we could “talk” in kind voices and positive words to the plants.  On the other side of the room we could talk in mean voices and use ridiculing and criticizing words. 

We got to witness the effect of words on plants.  The ones that received good words grew taller, stronger and fuller.  The plants that got the negative talk grew small, straggly and weak.  I remember this vividly.  Of course, as kids do, some figured out a way to try and sabotage the process and would speak meanly to the plants that were to receive the good.  I don’t think the experiment continued much longer.



A friend of mine is an organic gardener and began selling her plants through Featherly Farms.  Her plants are truly the largest, strongest and healthiest plants I have ever seen or transplanted.  Her garden beds are well tended to and watered, but the only difference that I see her do is that she has speakers up on the outside of her home that play music as she gardens all day.  The station she listens to is Christian music.  Her plants are drenched in this music.



You may think this sounds far-fetched, but I witnessed it.  I am an avid gardener myself and have spent many years around nurseries and her plants are not like any I have ever seen.  In fact, I had some of her tomato plants in a pot by our front door.  We received a large bouquet of flowers from a high-end florist and garden center and the delivery driver raved about the tomato plants being the most remarkable she had ever seen.  Years ago we used to see little old ladies with amazing house plants and we would hear about how they “talk to their plants.” 



  I don’t know how much is here, but I have seen results of purposeful kind words on plants.  I have also seen purposeful, kind words spoken to people and the strength and encouragement and growth that they have on people.  Even as infants, the kind words soothe and calm.  Pets recognize a kind word and are drawn near verses angry words where they may run and cower. 



The LORD is inviting us to talk to Him as He speaks to us in love.  He is gentle and has given you the essence of Himself in being created in His image.  Your prayers, your words and your thoughts matter to Him and in them, He wants them to matter to you, too.

He also desires you to know His Words to you.  Knowing them helps you know Him.  In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. 

 

There are times when I long to know God so much more, that I can hardly stand it.  Reading the Bible helps so much!  I have also learned to be quiet enough to recognize His voice.  It is a matter of opening up ourselves to believe it, receive it and really listen.  Sometimes it is in voice.  Sometimes He speaks in situations or things happening that could only have been done by Him.  Like we have learned, communication isn’t always words. 



There are times when the desire I have to be near God in relationship or communion is so strong and I feel like I need it for the very life of me!  There is a verse that expresses this well in Psalm 42:1 “For the director of music. A maskil of the Sons of Korah. As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God.”



I saw this in real life last Fall.  We were on our way to visit my mother-in-law at a facility where she was recovering from knee replacement surgery.  The campus of the facility was deep in the woods on a tall hillside high above the Minnesota River.  There was a deer with antlers standing near the drive that we were on.  He stood with his mouth open and panting.  I had never seen a deer do this before.  The verse came to mind as my own soul recognized that current desire I was experiencing.  The deer didn’t have much further to go for its streams of water.  Neither did I, as that evening I had a powerful time of being in God’s presence. 



I had been writing this book and had stopped and felt so empty and “dry.”  When I went to my computer that night after having seen the deer and identifying with the scripture verse of my own soul panting for the water brook, there was an e-mail from another writer and Bible teacher that I greatly admire.  She had blogged to “authors.”  I had never known her to address so narrowly an audience.  She encouraged and uplifted in the importance of continuing on to write, to go to God in times of dryness and to spend time with Him.  This was a way of God communicating to me.  He knew my longing and showed me that He knew.  I wept my own streams as I drew near to Him knowing how intimately He knew me and provided for me.  From there I was able to go on.



Not all of my words and conversations with the LORD have been serious or weighty in neediness.  There are times when I just plain have fun with Jesus.  I will laugh when He boldly shows me something to the point where He’s showing off.    Sometimes I’m just living out my day.


I was starting out my morning after having been in the bath and was getting ready in front of the mirror.  I had spent time praising and singing while in the bath tub and thanking Him over and over again that He is letting me live in a time when I can turn a handle and warm, clean, water pours out of the faucet.   Looking in the mirror, I saw another hair on my chin that I was going to have to tweeze.  I said out loud to Him, “So, what are we going to do about this?” referring to my beard.  I was halfway hoping He’d give me a miraculous removal of the offenders.  Instead, He said, “I had one, too.”  I got to laughing so hard.  Yes, by all accounts, I believe Jesus had a beard.  Jesus is funny!  We are created in His image.  We have a sense of humor. Where did you think it came from?
 

 
A prayer:  Lord, may our words grow more frequently towards You during our days. Lord, let us talk with You from the place of intimacy with You.  Fully remove any words that are not of You that we think of ourselves and replace them with who You are in us.  When we talk to others, let them be words that encourage, strengthen, comfort and love.  Let them be words of life.  In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

All Rights Reserved
 

No comments:

Post a Comment