About Me

My photo
Lori is a Bible believer and openly shares her insights so that others may know the fullness of Life in Jesus as He said in John 10:10b "I have come so that they may have life and have it abundantly."

Monday, December 8, 2014

Trying to Survive Christmas? Try Again




Trying to survive Christmas has been a phrase I have heard and one I have let myself succumb to in past Christmas’. My only peace and joy seemed to happen when I finally settled into the church pew for the Christmas Eve service after all of the shopping, baking, dinner making, wrapping and whirling up a bedazzled day of joy that was finally ready to come in the morning.

I had missed it. 

I had missed the peace up until that time and had lost a lot of joy. 

The place of peace has always been in the presence of Jesus. Sure, I’d think about Jesus, but I wouldn’t consider His presence or even imagine He was keeping up with my fast pace.  He was there at all speeds and I often only noticed when I reached the finish line.

This year, He has opened my eyes to Him and His peace now.  I had been doing it wrong.  The weekly advent to Christmas gives a periodic stop to think of Him, but sometimes the schedule seemed to get in my way.  It was one more thing to have to do.  Instead, He has met me in morning time in prayer and evening and throughout the day, every day. He has been with me in times of shopping when I ask Him to show me what is best to get and I am finding things miraculously available or even a sale.  I am seeing Him in the process. I am seeing Him in the ingredients of baking, in the ingredients of foods that He provides.  I am seeing Him in the loved ones in my life for whom I desire to give a gift of my love to them.  It isn’t a check off of my list this year.

There is peace and with that is joy. 

Considering the ways of His peace, it always came in His presence.  Isaiah 9:6 prophecies of the peace of Christ.  

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

John 14:27  Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.

A lot of people have troubled hearts as they try to get it all done and frankly…over with. Some are afraid their gifts won’t be nice enough or afraid they don’t have enough money or are afraid of relationship dynamics or being alone.  Jesus leaves us with his peace.  His peace isn’t as the world gives, not in perfect gifts or money spent or being in the perfect setting which is impossible in this world.  But He leaves us with His peace.  It’s in His presence of Him of being in Him and knowing that what really matters is what He has given.  It is enough and so much more.  Walking in that gift and being aware and thankful for it is like a blanket of comfort that calms even the fussiest child.  He’s here and He’s got this and what is lasting is what He gives. 

That’s when the joy comes.  When peace is found there is joy.  The fears fall away and the troubles lose their power.  The gift of peace is a gift from Jesus; from His life to us.  That is the perfect love of His.  In that perfect love, it casts out all fear. No one can out-give Jesus and when we walk in the graces of His gifts and His love, it can make this season one of peace, joy and good will to all the people. If we release our ideals of a worldly view of a perfect Christmas, fear falls away, troubles cease to matter, unreal expectations of others won’t allow disappointment to rule.  Give and release those loved ones to Him in prayer.

John 16:33 “I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

Take heart, He says.  Be in His peace.

Be in the awareness of His presence and gift of peace. Look to Him, see Him, trust Him and enjoy Him.  This is a season that the angels proclaimed that the presence of Jesus being born among us, present with us, is great joy to ALL people.

The simplest way to acknowledge Him is saying thank you. We say thank you for a gift given.  It’s a great way to start.  Every moment of every day He gives.  Hold out your hands and recognize the gifts He is giving and receive your Christmas gifts from Him. He lets us open them now.



No comments:

Post a Comment